The Capriccino: a goat milk cappuccino for lactose-intolerant coffee lovers

The traditional coffee-and-milk-foam recipe will now get a new variant fit for lactose-intolerant coffee lovers: the capriccino.

Coffee being one of the most traditional and popular drinks in Italy, the country already boasts a wide array of different coffee drinks. Now there will be another, surprising option, consisting of coffee and steamed goat’s milk, hence the name capriccino (capra is the Italian word for goat). The new coffee drink is aimed at the needs of an ever-increasing lactose-intolerant population.

Lactose intolerance is an impaired ability to digest lactose, a sugar found in milk and other dairy products, causing abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, and other digestive disorders. According to a study published by The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition the prevalence of lactose intolerance varies from country to country. It is lowest in Scandinavia and Northwest Europe (3-8%), reaching up to 70% in southern Italy, Greece and Turkey. However, only very few cafes and restaurants in Italy cater for customers with these specific needs. A few cafes in the southern Calabria region started offering the goat milk coffee drink drink this Winter.

The possibilities for new combinations are endless. There is also a chocolate version, the cioccaprino, an Italian hot chocolate made with caprine milk. Goat’s milk being a little more expense than cow’s milk, expect the drinks to cost slightly more (around 2 euros instead of 1.20 to 1.50 euros).

Hopefully, this initiative will help develop other alternatives for coffee drinks fit for lactose-intolerant people across the peninsula… and abroad.

Photo: 1001nights/Istockphoto.

Slow Italy

Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Google+ and on Facebook.

9 thoughts on “The Capriccino: a goat milk cappuccino for lactose-intolerant coffee lovers

• March 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm

As a real sufferer of lactose intolerance thought i should warn people. Due to ignorance on the topic I keep hearing things like this and well it’s no solution to real lactose intolerance people!- Goats milk still has lactose in it!!! If you are as sensitive as i am then don’t be fooled just because some people find this alternative good for them since proteins and such like are different to cows milk-making it good for those not exactly lactose intolerant but who probably have some kind of protein allergy or something! So not lactose free at all. You can always hope you have an allergy to cows milk (wish that’s all I had!) so wouldn’t hurt to try it – but remember go by your own gut feeling!! literally!! And if you are unfortunate enough to be lactose intolerant sorry but no ‘Capriccino’ for you…..or me!

• March 13, 2012 at 12:55 pm

What does it taste like? I love good coffee, but I just can’t make myself like the taste of Soy milk so perhaps this is a better option. Maybe I just need to buy some goat’s milk myself to find out.

• April 1, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I adored your insightful site. first class contribution. I hope you produce many. I will carry on subscribing

• May 24, 2014 at 4:47 am

It¡¦s really a great and helpful piece of info. I¡¦m glad that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

• May 24, 2014 at 4:52 am

Hello.This article was really motivating, especially since I was investigating for thoughts on this topic last couple of days.

• May 24, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I have been browsing on-line more than 3 hours as of late, yet I never discovered any interesting article like yours. It is lovely price enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you probably did, the web will likely be much more useful than ever before. “Truth is not determined by majority vote.” by Doug Gwyn.

• June 17, 2014 at 5:27 am

Howdy! I just would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice data you have got right here on this post. I shall be coming back to your blog for extra soon.

• June 17, 2014 at 8:53 am

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

• July 9, 2014 at 1:27 am

Thank you so much for giving everyone remarkably superb possiblity to read critical reviews from this web site. It’s usually very good plus packed with amusement for me and my office peers to search your blog a minimum of three times every week to study the newest guidance you have. And lastly, I’m so certainly motivated with your terrific things you serve. Selected two points in this article are unquestionably the very best I’ve ever had.

Comments are closed.